Hey there, I’m James.
Welcome to my website, where I write about technology, innovation, and energy efficiency for commercial buildings.
Before you explore, here’s a little bit about me.
- Denver resident, Illinois native.
- Professional engineer and energy efficiency innovator. Proud NRELian.
- Expert in data analytics software for smart buildings, often termed Energy Management and Information Systems (EMIS).
- Favorite books: The Social Animal, Simple Habits for Complex Times, When Things Fall Apart.
- Hobbies: trail running, snowboarding, soccer, and cooking for friends and family.
I publish a weekly newsletter, “Nexus”, focused on energy efficiency, innovation, and technology in buildings.
All of us know technology in our industry is barely scratching the surface of its potential. And yet every day, there’s a new startup. Every day, there’s news about “disruption”. It’s awfully noisy out there. You need the news and ideas that matter, the signal in the noise.
We’ve got quite the journey ahead of us. Nexus is your community for that journey. I hope you’ll join us.
Want to read it first? Check out the archive.
Here are my top writings so far:
Analytics for Buildings:
- What is EMIS? We need a new answer.
- Analytics: a human-in-the-loop technology
- What’s your favorite analytics software?
- Why building analytics are inevitable
- On the merits of an independent data layer
- Haystack 4.0 and the battle of open vs. closed ecosystems
- Defining the Digital Twin for Buildings
- Why We Need Digital Twins for Buildings
Learning and Growth:
- moments of awe
- the path to follow, pair with my poem tenderness
- discovery mode
- two types of growth: choose wisely
- saying no
- hearts over charts
- hope over despair
- introduction to carbon offsets
- how to talk to climate change deniers
- should I be enjoying this weather?